Originally posted here.
Now that school is back in session it’s important to keep these safety tips top of mind.
1. No Drawstrings – Small children can be strangled by drawstrings in sweaters or jackets.
2. Pack a Safe Lunch – An investigation at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute revealed that virtually no lunch box will keep foods at safe temperatures from the time your child gets on the bus until lunch hour. See our tips on keeping food cold and our Nutrition Director Samantha Cassetty’s recommendations for nutritious items that don’t need to be chilled.
3. Protect them from Strangers – Don’t have names engraved or stitched on backpacks, jackets, or lunchboxes, or anything else that will show their names to strangers so that they can call them by name. Remind them never to talk to strangers
4. Be an Internet Watchdog – Keep computers out of kids’ rooms and in a common area where you can monitor which internet sites they’re visiting and what they’re doing online.
5. Head off Injuries – Make sure your children’s bicycle helmets fit properly. If they’ve outgrown last year’s, buy new ones and of course, make sure they wear them every time they go for a ride.