Originally posted here.
There is still a little snow on the ground, but my boys are ready for Spring . I love seeing my boys outside and active but, of course, their safety is always my number one priority. Today I am sharing .
1) Wear a helmet – My boys all have helmets (that fit properly), and they know that they are not allowed on their bikes without wearing them. Head injuries are the number one cause of serious injury to kids on bicycles, and wearing a properly fitted and correctly worn bike helmet can cut the risk of serious head injury by up to 80%. Wearing a helmet is a must for kids!
2) Ride a safe bike – Make sure the bike is in good working order and fits the child. You’ll also want to make sure the tires are inflated and the brakes are working properly.
3) Wear proper footwear – My boys know that they must wear sneakers or their closed-toed sandals when they ride their bikes. Flip flops are not proper footwear for bike riding.
4) Know the rules – If kids are going to be riding their bikes on roads, they should be taught bicycle safety and rules of the road. All riders should use appropriate hand signals and respect traffic signals. My boys know that they must stay on the side of the road, watch for cars, and always stay together. It is important for me to know that if someone gets injured, there will be someone to go for help.
5) Pick safe routes – Make sure kids know where they are allowed to ride their bikes. The routes should be safe and appropriate for the age of the child.