Even when using a reputable nanny placement agency like Family Helpers to locate a well-screened caregiver, all parents should take the time to thoroughly interview the nanny candidates that they are most interested in hiring.
While a phone interview can help parents narrow down which candidates can best meet the practical needs of their family, a face-to-face interview provides parents with the opportunity to read the candidates body language, which can help them gauge how the candidate really feels about the questions she’s being asked and the answers she is giving.
Parents can gain lots of insight into the lives, care giving styles and personalities of their potential caregivers by asking these top ten questions during a face-to-face interview.
- What do you think children like best about you?
- Can you tell me what a typical day with my three year old would be like?
- How come your last child care position ended?
- Why do you want to be a nanny?
- Can you tell me about your family?
- What do you like most about your best friend?
- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
- What are your thoughts on discipline?
- What is the toughest childcare situation you had and how did you handle it?
- What do you think your role as a nanny is?
Parents who plan to hire a live-in caregiver should also ask about their candidates sleep habits, feelings about living with a family and any problems they’ve had in past live-in care giving situations.